Tuesday, June 12, 2007

What the hell is an optimistic curmudgeon?


I'm an optimistic curmudgeon. It's how I've always described myself. The thinking goes something like this -- Things suck now, but they'll get better. Even if things get better by half every day, they'll never be perfect. So you keep looking for something else to solve to get as close as possible. The thought of perfection destroys itself -- once you think you've reached the pinnacle, you're done, you stop moving.

To that end, this site will feature humor and news, things that I can't find a place for in my capacity as a full-time freelance writer. For Wednesday, I'll be posting a piece about Boston comic Chris Coxen mucking up the works at the Last Comic Standing auditions in New York. Also on tap, a never published piece about a fantastic rock and roll singer/songwriter out of Cleveland by the name of Roger Hoover, and an extended draft of a story I wrote for Paste Magazine a couple of years back about editing books as my first job out of college.

I'm at sixteen cells now, and still splitting, so (almost) any feedback would be appreciated as this thing grows.

"It's the best possible time to be alive, when almost everything you thought you knew is wrong." -- Valentine, from Tom Stoppard's Arcadia

No comments: